Hiring a campervan is a great way to get up close with Australia’s breathtaking landscapes, diverse wildlife, and unique ecosystems. Adopting environmentally friendly practices during your campervan rental holiday can help protect the beauty of this land for future generations to enjoy. Here are 15 tips for sustainable campervan travel in Australia, allowing you to explore its wonders responsibly and minimise your environmental impact.
1. Choose a Fuel-Efficient Campervan: Opt for a campervan with good fuel efficiency, such as one powered by diesel or a hybrid engine, to reduce your carbon footprint during the journey. All Offset Campervans are run on diesel.
2. Pack Lightly: Traveling light not only saves fuel but also reduces the weight of your campervan, leading to better fuel efficiency.
3. Bring Reusable Water Bottles: Minimise plastic waste by carrying reusable water bottles and refill them at designated water stations or taps.
4. Use Eco-Friendly Toiletries: Choose biodegradable and eco-friendly toiletries to avoid polluting the environment when emptying your wastewater.
5. Compost Organic Waste: Carry a small compost bin to dispose of food scraps and organic waste responsibly. Download the ShareWaste app to find with local compost drop off locations while on your trip.
6. Leave campsites as you found them: Whether you are staying in an organised campsite or enjoying free camping, its essential no rubbish is left behind. Any rubbish left behind can quicklu end up endangering wildlife and disrupting ecosystems.
7. Conserve Water: Be mindful of water usage during your trip, and consider taking quick showers to conserve this precious resource.
8. Embrace Solar Power: Make use of solar energy to power up appliances and reduce reliance on fossil fuels.
9. Choose eco friendly souvieners: There are different ways to make your souvenirs eco friendly. One way we like is to visit local Op Shops or small, handmade made items.
10. Support Local Businesses: Purchase locally sourced products and support eco-friendly businesses that prioritise sustainability.
11. Respect Wildlife: Admire wildlife from a distance and never feed or disturb them to maintain their natural behaviours.
12. Use Natural Light and Ventilation: Make the most of natural light and ventilation to reduce energy consumption within the campervan.
13. Offset Your Carbon Footprint: Consider investing in carbon offset programs to compensate for the emissions generated during your trip.
14. Dispose of Waste Properly: Always dispose of waste in designated bins and recycling facilities, even when on the road.
15. Reduce Single-Use Plastic Usage: Opt for reusable containers and bags to minimise single-use plastic waste. Visit BYOContainers.org to find cafes, delis, grocery stores and more that allow reusables and offer refills.
Sustainable campervan travel in Australia is an opportunity to explore the country’s magnificent landscapes while preserving its natural beauty and ecological diversity. By following these 15 tips, you can minimise your environmental impact, support local communities, and create lasting memories of an eco-friendly journey. Let’s collectively strive to be responsible travellers and protect Australia’s treasures for generations to come.
Photo by Offset Campervans